Wednesday 28 October 2015

TRACE ELEMENTS PROJECT

For this project I explored many ideas and whittled it down to following the idea of journeys, and capturing traces of them in my work. Taking into account the 'you are what you eat' project, I decided I wanted to carry on in a similar style of working - particularly following the idea of print. 


 I began with some simple mono-prints which I believe were a good starting point. The print on the left is a panoramic drawing, giving the idea of taking a journey with your eyes - which is enhanced by the two point perspective, that allows your eyes to travel along the piece. The depth could potentially be enhanced by a subtle addition of colouring the background. The print on the right does contain colour, however the line-work is not panoramic meaning the depth is not as pronounced. The green strip of colour takes the role of focal point in this piece. These mono-prints led me on to the idea of experimental continuous line drawings, where I decided to document my journey to college, and draw whilst walking.


Although the drawings were simple to create, the outcome is really successful and contains plenty of potential to develop. By being presented across a double page spread it gives the feel of the drawings being panoramic which instantly adds the element of depth. Plus, where in places the single line has overlapped on itself it has created a further sense of depth by drawing you into the background. The line drawings work well as a single black line as they stand out into the foreground as a focal point, however I could develop these into prints onto a coloured background as this would further enhance the overall composition. Instead I chose to take shapes from them in order to create a background print. These samples can be seen in the pictures below. 



The two prints above really begin to document my journey in further detail. The collaging in the background initiates further depth and pushes the blue print into the middle ground therefore allowing the letterpress to stand out into the foreground. The sample on the left stands quite strong in catching your immediate attention, and the shapes created by the negative space are prominent. On the other hand, the print on right contains plenty more texture as the blue ink had been reduced, this allows for the collaging to come through, adding yet another layer to the print. Although both these prints have their strong points, I felt I could develop the idea further into creating a series of smaller prints based on my journey to college. 






A few of the samples I created can be viewed above, they demonstrate some of the different  techniques I used to approach the final outcomes. The colour palette was taken from a part of the journey, and the clashing colours really create an impact which is highlighted by the negative space that allows the composition from being overcrowded. The surface area is very tactile due to the addition of stitch and collage. This gives an interesting texture both visually and to the touch which therefore adds further depth to the samples. 










No comments:

Post a Comment