Sunday 20 September 2015

WEARABLE ARCHITECTURE PROJECT

This project is perhaps the one I was most excited about doing because Textile Design is what I am considering going on to do at University. Therefore I felt the need to really excel with this task in order to prove my abilities to myself. 


The project kicked off with observational drawings of buildings, where we had to focus on the inner, smaller details such as shape. At this point I was disappointed in the outcome of my work as I felt I hadn't understood the task properly; but in hindsight, the shapes I had found work really well together and once I began to print them I was really enjoying the development of my work. I feel that this was a really successful learning curve for me, as it is sometimes hard to accept your work when you feel it is not up to your usual high standards, as I did, and the development of being able to overcome a difficult patch and twist it to make it work to the best of its ability is something I am proud of achieving and I definitely feel it will help me with future learning.


Once I was over my frustration we moved on to designing a surface pattern for printing the shapes, which you can see above. The colour palette I chose is working really well for this piece as the neutral background allows the pink and blue to pop out without them drowning each other - because I chose to also use the secondary colour purple as a highlight point. Although I believe my prints are successful there is still plenty of room for development, for example instead of using purple I could print with white paint as it would stand out even further in the print and give a sense of depth. A second developing point could be to somehow attach the stencils onto the surface of the print which would not only add a three-dimensional aspect but also enhance the 'wearable sculpture/architecture' idea. 

We then had to refer back to some of the other architectural shapes in order to design the final idea for the piece. Above you can see my range of ideas, and I feel the most successful one is the middle idea, featured in the left hand photo on the right hand side. This is mainly because I wasn't looking at the shape and trying to turn it into a garment, but instead I was considering the ergonomics of the shape and how it could work best with the body. The two designs shown in the photo on the right have the success that they both flow well with the body, however I find that the curves soften them too much and they blend too much with the body, whereas the more angular shapes stand out strong and make a statement. 



The final stage of the project was choosing a design and putting it into practise, which you can see in the photos overhead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment