Saturday 19 September 2015

CONCEAL PROJECT PART 2

Further on into the project we began to look at faces and methods of construction; including drawing, printing and sculpting using wire.


With these two pages we were practicing drawing in different medias and without looking at the page. This taught me how important it actually is to spend 80% looking at the subject and 20% at the paper, as this allows you to slow down the drawing in order to capture as much detail as you can. It has also shown me how layering up drawings can be quite effective in creating new shapes and forms. 
I feel that the light blue felt pen drawing (right hand image, left hand side of page) is unsuccessful in this group of drawings as it doesn't fit into the colour scheme and stands out too obviously, creating an unwanted focal point. It could potentially be overcome by experimenting with cutting up the page and rearranging to create unrealistic faces. Or I could attempt another drawing with scissors to cover up the majority of it. 
                              

In spite of this, these drawings were the basis for our stencil printing, which turned out to be really fun and experimental to create.


      

With the two images above I have selected what I believe are my most successful and unsuccessful prints. With the left hand side print (green on green) I feel the monochromatic colour scheme is really strong, with the pale background causing the darker facial features to jump out into the foreground. However, the red and orange print is a lot more subtle, I think it is the clash of the colours that lets this print down, but in saying this the upper left side with the texture is working really well, and a good developing point would be to reprint this with the white texture running all the way through the background. This would then allow the orange print to be more visible. 



Above you can see my 3 wire faces I sculpted. The top face is the first one I finished, and upon finishing the other two it has become my least favourite. By trying to create the outline of the whole head, I have accidentally created a 'cartoon like' face which was not my aim, however once I had looked at work by my peers, and I furthered my artist research, it helped me to focus on the finer details of the face and create a much simpler solution. By creating these faces, it helped me (along with the drawing at the top) to concentrate on looking at the subject, as I was able to hold up the wire to try and get proportions right as well as shapes and angles. I believe a good way to improve these sculptures would be to experiment with media other than wire, such as string or flexible plastic tubes (e.g. straws?).


No comments:

Post a Comment